Are pit bulls relly as mean as everybody says they are

Discussion in 'Dog Breed' started by Guest, Apr 5, 2000.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

SOME Pitbulls are bred for fighting. It is VERY unlikely a pitbull will turn on its owners. They are bred to fight other DOGS. Don't get me wrong, there are a few cases where a pit is trained to attack humans. Many statements about pits are misleading! Not all pits are like this! Some have good bloodlines. But, if you are thinking about getting one, go to a pitbull shelter or do a lot of research if you are buying from a breeder. Try this site: www.cyberpresence.net/pbrc/pbrcindex.html

2. Guest

Guest Guest

No, no, no, no, no!

There are some very cruel owners who teach a few to fight. And, try to give them all a bad reputation. And, it makes it harder on those of use who are responsible owners who raise loving family members.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

I work for a rescue organization and we were told if a dog has pitbull in it to not menchen it to people. why?

4. Guest

Guest Guest

KC & AKC clubs. They all come from the same ancestry. There is a great book I have that calls them "bull dogs" so they are not so looked down upon. I love my Babe. She is a good dog who has been brought up properly. Like kids, they become what you teach them.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

I own a pitbull and two miniature pinschers, I can tell you that my Petbull is a loving and caring dog.
    He is in fact just as affectionate if not more than the other two.

There are some bad people who train these dogs to fight people.
    Those are the media stories that you hear about all the time. It is not typical of the breed.
    They are however, a very powerful dog that can be dangerous if not properly trained or if a bad owner trains them for aggresion. Not because they are vicious in nature but because they are so powerful that they can do damage even unintentionally.
    Because of the way that they were initially bred (to fight other dogs) they can still harbor some of that game against other dogs so one needs to be careful around other dogs. Again it is a function of properly socializing the dog from puppyhood.

I hope that I have explained this to you properly.

Dan

6. Guest

Guest Guest

pitbulls really arent that mean it depends on how they r raised the media makes a big deal anytime one of these dog attacks somebody on command from their owner and the sad thing is they then get put down u never hear about the nice ones the good ones so u just get the idea all r bad if u train them to fight yes they will be aggresive but if u train them nicely and to be good around people then u have 1 nice dog on your hands
    ann

7. Guest

Guest Guest

When I was 6, I got my first dog. It was a Pit-Bull. I never had a better friend. He was the sweetest and kindest of all the dogs I've ever owned. I remember him walking around the house, checking on everyone in the family, giving my little sister a kiss on the cheek, then my brother, and finally coming to rest his head in the crook of my neck. He died when I was 15, and I never really got over it.

Treat ANY dog with love and respect, and you're almost guaranteed a friend for life /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

------------------

8. Guest

Guest Guest

9. Griffin

Griffin Moderator

I have heard that pit bulls are mean and they were bread to fight. I have also heard storys of pit bulls turning on there owners. Is it all true????

10. greenmatter

greenmatter Newbie

11. PPersian

PPersian Newbie

This was refreshing. I wished I could read every post, but i have to go back to work but I'll be back. There are some bad people who train these dogs to fight people. Those are the media stories that you hear about all the time. It is not typical of the breed.

12. canyon

canyon Newbie

are pit bulls mean?

In my experience pit bulls are llike any other dog, temperament is what you make of it. I had a friend who kept his pit bull on a chain outside, and if you got withing that chains length, he would take you down and lick you to death. Loved him.
    Our daughter had one who just passed away, and he was huge, but the biggest teddy bear you ever saw. They left him with me one weekend and went to our cabin with my wife. this thing cried after being left, so I had him get up on the bed with me. Bad mistake, he laid down beside me, one foot over my chest, head on my shoulder, and the rear foot over my ankels. From then on, he was beside or on me the whole weekend. I loved him to. Now a son has one, and she's nothing but a teddy bear to. We go over to babysit the grandkid, 3, and that darn dog is all over me wanting to be scratched and petted. People who make a pit bull mean need to be put down, I'll volunteer to shoot them to. Pit bulls are great pets:)

13. NoelEveline

NoelEveline Newbie

well ,it is a good psot ,i am sue you are a talent

14. Steph

Steph Newbie

I have a black pitbull that looks looks super scary form the outside but he is far from that. He will cry if he is not getting enough attention and wants to cuddle with me all the time. He can bark a lot when he is near unfamiliar people but I think he is just no aware that barks from him are scary. He has never attacked anyone and never will. Oh, and his best friend is a cat (they snuggle and play together all the time)