cat allergies with a cat???

Discussion in 'Cat breeds' started by GlassFamily, Nov 27, 2003.

1. GlassFamily

GlassFamily Newbie

Hello-

This is my first post here. My wife has acquired an allergy to cats (and dogs, and wheat, and a dozen other things). :-( However, I've heard that Siamese cats are much less prone to cause allergic reactions. I even asked a couple of breeders here about this, and both claimed to have allergies (one fellow as at a cat show, and showed _obvious_ signs of allergic reactions) and both claimed that their siamese didn't bother them.

What I'm curious to know is if there are others who share this same phenomenon. Do you have an allergy to cats that doesn't exhibit itself around Siamese? Please keep in mind that I will be sharing the responses with my wife. :) Thanks.

-Jon

2. StinaBeena

StinaBeena Member

I dont know if you are checking here any longer since its been a while since you posted but a really good site is :
    http://sy.adiho.com/ASA/Controller?sysid=4&appid=9902

they have a "quiz" type of thing that will give you a list of cats that best fit your situation. In it, they do have an option of hypoallergenic cats and they do list them. There are 5-10 different cats that dont cause allergies, if i remember correctly.

Siamese are listed on there and its pretty much a fact that they are less likely to irritate allergies.

3. GlassFamily

GlassFamily Newbie

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by StinaBeena:
    I dont know if you are checking here any longer since its been a while since you posted but a really good site is :
    http://sy.adiho.com/ASA/Controller?sysid=4&appid=9902

they have a "quiz" type of thing that will give you a list of cats that best fit your situation. In it, they do have an option of hypoallergenic cats and they do list them. There are 5-10 different cats that dont cause allergies, if i remember correctly.

Siamese are listed on there and its pretty much a fact that they are less likely to irritate allergies.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the reply! I have the web page set to inform me of replies, which, I guess, is how I got your reply in my email. :) Thanks for the web page and the info! My wife, hearing more about the Siamese is regretting not knowing this info before. :) Unfortunately, it looks like it will be a couple of years before we can get a cat. We live in a small apartment, and are going to have our fourth child in the next year, which means we will have to move to a larger place. Once we move--then the cat! Needless to say, even my wife is starting to get excited about the prospect... It's been a long time since we had a cat... (since my wife's allergies went through the roof, that is!) Thanks again for replying!

4. chh

chh Member

While siamese are known to be less likely to trigger allergies, remember it's not guaranteed. My father is allergic to cats, and the siamese my mother had when they met caused him a lot of problems. And it can take a while for the allergies to build up. Visiting a breeder's house for an hour and not having problems doesn't mean your wife won't be miserable a few days after bringing one home! It's a tough call--might be fine, but SO terrible for the cat if you have to re-home her.

Ever read about the cornish rex? I've read that breed is more non-allergenic than most. Seriously funky looking cats, you might want to check them out [​IMG]

5. GlassFamily

GlassFamily Newbie

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by chh:
    While siamese are known to be less likely to trigger allergies, remember it's not guaranteed. My father is allergic to cats, and the siamese my mother had when they met caused him a lot of problems. And it can take a while for the allergies to build up. Visiting a breeder's house for an hour and not having problems doesn't mean your wife won't be miserable a few days after bringing one home! It's a tough call--might be fine, but SO terrible for the cat if you have to re-home her.

Ever read about the cornish rex? I've read that breed is more non-allergenic than most. Seriously funky looking cats, you might want to check them out [​IMG]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thank you for your reply. I have been operating on the principle that if one person has experienced allergies with a Siamese, then we would either not try, or would ask a local breeder to borrow or rent a cat for several days. I don't know that they would let us (and I highly doubt it) but I figure it couldn't hurt asking. :) I would think, however, that a breeder that cared for his cats would hate to see one of his cats have to be given up, and would do his best to help. [​IMG] The last thing we want to do is to be forced to give up a cat. We had to years ago, and it tore me apart. We were fortunate enough to have a loving elderly lady take our cat, but still, it was as much as I could bear, and I don't wish to repeat that.

I have tried to talk my family into a Cornish Rex, but I fear that they are a bit too much for them. [​IMG]

Thanks again for your response. I very much appreciate hearing the downside.