Cleaning substrate

Discussion in 'Marine Saltwater forum' started by Fambob, Jun 3, 2003.

1. Fambob

Fambob Newbie

When your substrate becomes and looks dirty, should it be vacummed or are the consequences of destroying the biological balance too great. Won't vacumming rid the tank of some ich and much dirt?

2. DBSunited

DBSunited Member

I take out my live sand (the top layer) and clean it with fresh water when it get dirty. You wont hurt your biological balance of the tank. You can put the sand back in when you are done cleaning it. A lot of it lives in your live rock also there are millions of living thing in your sand. I would just not take out all your sand at once,just some of it at a time.

3. JenLeeWoo

JenLeeWoo Member

I have crushed coral substrate. I vacuum it out every time I change the water. If you have an undergravel filter, you must vacuum it. I don't think removing icky stuff can be anything but good.

60 gallon Freshwater aquarium with: 1 golden Angel, 2 Black Knife Ghostfishes, 1 Plecostamus, 2 Harlequins, 1 Golden Algae Eater, 2 White Clouds, 1 Corey Catfish, 3 clown loaches, 8 Mollies.

www.angelfire.com/trek/jenleewoo

4. karlas

karlas Member

cc substrate you pretty much need to vacuum but a dsb u never touch you let your clean up crew do the job. as far as a ugf its not really a good idea for a sw tank especially if going with a reef. once you get t hings in place you pretty much want to leave them there

karla steves

5. Phylhamilton

Phylhamilton Newbie

coral in aquarium for looks

We have an aquarium that holds one goldfish who is not 10 1/2 years old. Over time we have placed small chunks of coral in the aquarium. It very quickly collects algae and I cannot seem to get it clean and back to the white color. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

6. Bob

Bob Administrator Staff Member

Just bleach them, the trick is they must be rinsed and air dried until there is no smell of bleach.

7. Alexsertu

Alexsertu Member

Hey everyone I was just wondering how does everyone keep their substrate so nice and clean? Mine used to be clean because I had a orange ...