Clipping a dog

Discussion in 'Dog Health Diet & Grooming' started by Griffin, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Griffin

Griffin Moderator

Clipping a dog

Many dog owners generally think of clipping as only a mechanical activity. Few understand that clipping a dog is an art. Clipping a coat or nail needs to be carried out in a careful manner to avoid the injuries to the skin or nail. Clipping of the coat is to be taken care of as per the breed characteristics. If the coat is not properly clipped, this may lead to the dust accumulation in the coat and the animal may start showing signs of skin diseases. This is true especially when the grooming activities are not done in a proper manner.

Clipping of coat helps to get rid of the parasitic burden to a greater extent and also, the clipping of your dog is of more useful to expose on the type of parasitic problem that the dog is likely to suffer. Many pet health parlors are available wherein the clipping of dog will be carried out in a more systematic manner.

Always make use of a sharp clipper and in the winter regions, avoid the close clipping. This is due to the fact that the closer clipping in the winter seasons may expose the dog to the environmental stresses like the cold climate. Hence, the dog may become more vulnerable to the frostbite. Avoid the close clipping of coat or nail because this may cause injury to the underlying tissues and may cause bleeding in the concerned animal.

Many pet owners need to avoid any clipping activity when the animal is not in healthy status. Clipping instruments are available to a greater extent in many pet shops. Avoid the blunt instruments because they may not clip well and hence, repetition is required often. Always use modern equipments for clipping activities.

2. azhimel

azhimel Moderator

A lot of this makes sense

I agree with a lot of this, another thing that is important with clipping is always keep your clipper; clean, well oiled, and cool. This way you don't have to replace parts as often and it's cheaper to own in the long run.

You change your car's oil every 3K miles, it's similar with Grooming clippers.

3. tedjohn09

tedjohn09 Newbie

Your ideas are so interesting.
    I like it.
    Thanks.

4. AlvinCampbell

AlvinCampbell Member

You can have your vet clip your dog's nails for a lower price than you would pay at the groomer. The next time you take your dog in for shots it would be worth asking your vet to clip the dog's nails while you are watching so he can show you in person how to do it. Dogs have different colored nails. On a white nail, if you look carefully you will see where the pink shows in the middle of the nail. This is the quick - don't cut into that as it will bleed and is very painful, much like cutting below the line on your own fingernail. On black nails it is just a little harder to find the quick. Under these circumstances take just the tip off. The more you clip the nails, the farther back the quick line is each time. I like to just take the tip off the nails once a month and do it as a routine. If you should nick the quick and it starts to bleed, rub some of the stylus pencil over it or apply pressure until it stops bleeding. Thanks for join with us.
    :shablon_03:

5. ryanodell27

ryanodell27 Newbie

Hi Griffin, I do agree with you so much and I would like to add that learning to trim your dog's claws will also save your money by avoiding having to take your dog to a vet or pet groomer when it needs it's claws trimmed...:)

6. syle_cox

syle_cox Newbie

I Just Concern!

Trimming your pet claws is indeed a good thing to consider in taking care your pet. However, you must also keen when choosing your pet grooming matrerials .. you could great stuff at this site

7. Farenxdesign

Farenxdesign Newbie

This is a great topics.I have a learn new thinks from this site.

8. Alexsertu

Alexsertu Member

Thanks for your sharing information.I got much clear idea from your post.I have a learn new thinks from your post.