Discus Aquarium Questions?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Plus discus' started by brad, Feb 21, 2010.

1. brad

brad Moderator

I have a 60 litre aquarium, and I am thinking about keeping Discus fish. Obviously, you can only learn so much from the websites and Pet stores, so I’m asking a few questions here I would like answering

2. Bob

Bob Administrator Staff Member

Firstly, what size tank would be required for 4 or 5 discus. I want them to have room, but I can’t afford a huge tank, also I can’t have an unlimited amount of weight on my floor :’( In litres please
    How much are young discus normally?
    What other colours do you recommend? I am interested in the Yellow diamond, Heckel, Cobalt Blue…
    What good discus websites are there?
    Temperature? Ph? Amount of plants?
    Compatable fish? I have heard they are peaceful, can they be kept with all other peaceful fish? (they are cichlids after all)
    Feeding, at the moment I feed my fish fish flakes. What do discus need for good colour and health?
    What compatable species of fish do you recommend keeping discus with. I would like some smalelr fish, and a few corydoras or dwarf plecos. Any fish that look great with discus?
    Age? How long do they live?
    Plants they like?
    It would be really great if you could answer as many of these questions as possible. I will pick a best answer
    thanks liana for all the help. You say they need very regular water changes, would they be healthy and happy with 20% water changer every week?

I have to disagree with the person above me, I don’t think discus need care quite as ott as that. Although most of what she said was true.
    Tho I think a lot of people make keeping discus a lot harder than it seems. They are mostly the same as other fish, you just gotta keep them clean.
    I think a 60 gallon tank would be a good starting point, (which is about 270 liters, or about a 5-ft tank depending on the height and width obv)
    Im in the UK where young discus cost around £20 – £30 depending on the type.

3. megan mia

megan mia Member