Discus fish spawning

Discussion in 'Freshwater Plus discus' started by Timmy, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Timmy

Timmy Newbie

Hi everyone,
    I just joined. As a welcome message, i like to tell that my adult Lss(leopard snakeskin) just spawn on 11 March 2008 at 6pm (Malaysia time). They laid over 300 eggs. I applied methylene blue and protective net plus air bubble to massage the eggs. Until now 50 hours after spawning, the number of good eggs has reduced to 30% only.Well, i am still waiting for the next 10 hours to see wheather the eggs will hatch or not...till then.

Thanks.
    Timmy

2. Timmy

Timmy Newbie

On the course, I did pricking jobs to remove white eggs. On 14 March at 8am (62 hours after spawning,), the eggs began to hatch and larvaes were formed. I removed the protective net and the pair will attend to the larvaes which were attached to the spawn cone.. On 17 March (the 6th. Day), larvaes begin to swim on the spawn cone surface and feed on parents’ body mucous. ....till then...

Timmy

3. Timmy

Timmy Newbie

Next Tuesday (25 March 2008) will be 7 days after discus fry free swim and I will begin feeding them with artemia.

4. Timmy

Timmy Newbie

On 26 March I remove the discus fry from their parents and transfer them into a new tank.Lighting is turned on the whole night so that they can still feed on artemia at night. Now is time to see when they will grow big enough to start feeding with pork heart. Until then.....

5. Salty Dog

Salty Dog Newbie

Hi Timmy

Thanks for keeping us up to date with the spawning. It is great to read how seriously you take the hobby. Can you share with us some of your Discus secrets. I for one, have never really been successful in keeping them. I tried softening the water(peatmoss) and live feeding but never have had any luck. Any advice would be appreciated:)

Thanks
    Salty

6. Timmy

Timmy Newbie

There are few questions I like to ask:-
    1. What type of food you fed, any live food?
    2. What is the water pH and temperature, do you use heater?
    3. Do you mix discus with other fish?
    4. How many % of water change you do?
    5. Any symptom before they die?

7. brad

brad Moderator

Any advice..............

Discus are so tough.............
    Hows your spawning going?

8. Timmy

Timmy Newbie

Brad,

It is fine. Now size 1 cm in 4 feet tank, fed with artemia twice a day. Have to suck out some dead artemia and apply fresh water. Currently, total 100 fries.

Timmy

9. brad

brad Moderator

You gotta see the Sri Lanka Discus .......

These Babies Just Arrived in the country last Friday and they are sweeeet.......

10. Timmy

Timmy Newbie

I start feeding fries with chopped frozen blood worm after getting some scare 2 days ago where more than 10 pcs. died probably caused by parasitic attack.Then the fries swam in jerky movement and dies.Now with dead food the fries will be clean and hopefully grow in inches.