Does anyone have a Korat?

Discussion in 'Cat breeds' started by Guest, Mar 21, 2001.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

I recently adopted a cat from our local cat rescue centre, and I think it's possible that I may have brought home a Korat cat and I am interested to know if anyone else has one and if so, can we compare notes. I accidently stumbled upon a description in a magazine, and Spooky seems to fit the bill almost exactly. I'm just curious.
    Thanks
    Abby

2. Guest

Guest Guest

I have a korat-siamese mix named Magic. She is very territorial and very fat. I dont know if she is like this because she is a mix or not. But that is all i know

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Ive got a tortoise shell and white.How old r u 2 anyway?

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Ive got a tortoise shell and white.How old r u 2?
    maz
    xxxxx

5. Guest

Guest Guest

find out if your cat is a purebred,
    Now, please don't be shocked by the rest of this post, please. I don't know about your particular case, where you get the cat, etc... But I'm tired to hear about some "purebreds" cats that are in fact domestic cats.
    Well, I know a Korat breeder and she told me breeders are really rare in America, most of them have to go in Europe to get their first couple and this hobby cost them so much money they have to sell the kittens at a very very high cost. And, most of the breeders really love their Korats, so they will sell them only to the best people, with contracts that establish that the owner HAS to return the cat to the breeder if something goes wrong, that the cats have to be spayed/neutered, etc...
    So, it's very, very rare that a real Korat find his way to an ordinary shelter. There are specialized places where you can get a retired Korat but you have to contact TICA or CFA or ACFA first.
    There are many, many blue cats with stunning green eyes in shelter however, and they can look a lot like Korat or Russian blue, and blue cats with yellow eyes can be mistaken for Chartreux. But these 2 breeds are almost as hard to find as a Korat, and will cost you $$$$.
    Some backyard breeders does have korat, but the major part of them has taken a couple of blue DSH with green eyes and sell their offspring as korats, chartreux or Russian blues. This explain that sometimes a russian blue or chartreux will appear in a pet shop or that an accidental mix with another breed possessed by the same backyard breeder will appear in the local shelter. As long as they are not registered, who knows where those petshop cats comes from?
    What I don't like with cats is that people doesn't seem to understand the meaning of the term "breed". I mean, they normally identify a breed of dog only by looking at the dog, a dalmatian is white with black spots, a poodle is a poodle, etc... This works well for the dogs, but not for the cats! Domestic cats can display all the colors, patterns and temperament of the purebred cats, but that doesn't make them purebred! Many people will call a big cat with long hair a Maine coon, a blue shorthaired cat a Chartreux, a pointed cat a Siamese, etc... but in most of the cases this is not true! These patterns exist among the non-pedigreed cats, we selected some patterns and made breeds from them! There are records of the real purebred cats and they are call pedigrees and registers. The color, lenght of coat and caracter of a cat is not an indication that this cat is a purebred or part purebred. I've seen a kitten once, from an ordinary queen and tomcat, they accidentally escaped from their cages at the shelter were I worked and the queen was in oestrus. We kept the kittens and one of them became a long haired seal point with pale blue eyes and white mittains. A Sacred cat of Burma! But the mother was a black cat and the father a brown tabby and white cat, one long haired and the other shorthaired. Domestic cats. But they both carried the gene for the pointed pattern and for the mittains, these genes are recessive and can stay hidden for a very long period of time. Their kitten had not a single drop of Birman cat in his veins, but he looked like he was one.
    Of course, there will always be people saying that such a cat IS a Birman, their white longhaired cat IS a Turkish Angora, a Maine coon or a Siberian, because they have seen one in a magazine and it looked exactly the same as their cat!
    But I'm tired to hear about rare breeds that are in fact beautiful DSH. I've talked to a woman YESTERDAY who had 3 ocicats! I was really excited, because these cats cost a lot and are not so common! When I saw the cats in picture, it was obvious that they were brown tabby DSH cats. Loving, beautiful tabbies but not ocicats!
    Those people only want the pride that comes with the possession of the breed, or they really don't know what "breed" means! But I have a purebred cat and there is no pride in having one, there is only love, the same love that comes with any domestic cat. Cats of all breeds and street cats all have the same potential for love and intelligence, they deserve the same care and love. The day cat lovers will understand that a breed is more than a color or behavior, they will stop arguing about the "breed" of their domestic cat and truly give them the love they deserve.
    So please do all the researches before calling your cat a korat or russian blue, of course you can describe him as a look-alike, but as long as you don't have the confirmation from the original breeder, you won't be certain of his origins. There is enough confusion in the world of cat breeds, please do not add much!

6. Guest

Guest Guest

ook around. There were lots of beautiful cats there but we'd decided to go for one that really looked like it needed a loving home. There was a great big battleworn tom who was enormous and pure muscle, covered in scars but unfortunately they did not recommend hime for a home with children, and as we are trying for kids, that was no good. Then they suggested that we look at the new arrivals in quarantine. We did so, and saw this sad little grey creature. She was so out of condition, her fur felt like straw it was so coarse, her head was held low and she looked so depressed, our hearts went out to her. She was a stray found in Brislington, a suburb of Bristol and was brought in with her four kittens, which all died shortly after. We could not help but choose her.
    They don't let you take the cats home straight away, they first send around a RSPCA inspector to your home to make sure you are suitable. This was done a week later but when I phoned to say we'd been approved we were told that she'd caught cat flu, poor thing, we were so worried for her. Luckily, a week later, she was well enough to come home with us.
    It has taken her a good four months to settle in properly. When we first got he, we had a bit of trouble, she would cry all night, she would bit viciously, she wanted to play ALL the time - it was exhausting. So I bought a magazine to see if I could pick up any tips on how to get her to settle in and resolve these problems. That is where I found a description of the Korat (I'd never heard of them before!) She seemd to fit all of the characteristics, not only in look, but in character (except the biting). she is so unlike any of the other eight cats that I have had in the past. that is why I was curious to know if anyone else had one, to compare notes, to find out if some of her mannerisms are characteristic of the breed, or just to her, and to help overcome the problems we'd bene having.
    As it happens, since I posted my query, she has settled in nicely. she's topped biting, except in play. At night, whey we go to bed, she gets a tiny peice of cheese as a treat, and she knows that once that treat has been given, she won't get any more attenito until morning, so she sleeps the night away now. an now that winter is over, she's not so demanding on the play front, she goes outside much more and uses up her energy there and we just play a few games in the evening. She's perfect, beautiful and so loving to us. She doesn't bear any relation to the poor sad puss that we found last autumn.
    Even if, bu some chance, she was a Korat, it would have only answered questions, it would not have made any difference. I don't believe in breeding animals of any kind for a 'look', I certainly wouldn't have her produce any kittens, even if she could (she's been spayed), and my opinion of 'showing' cats is not printable!
    I hope this goes some way towards assuring you that I am not one of these people who buy pedigree animals as status symbols, just so that they can say they have a "Korat" or a "Siamese" or whatever - if I was, I would have gone and got one!
    Abby

7. Guest

Guest Guest

. But, I would have had to do a bigger search!
    What we have to learn with cats is that each and every one of them is unique, purebred or not. Purebred cats were all domestic cats back in time, and man (and sometime nature) selected some of them for their color or behavior. These characteristics were already present in the gene pool of the domestic cat, so it’s normal that they are still there. It’s the reason why some domestic cats can display the behavior or look of a certain breed. That doesn’t make them purebred or part pure, that makes them unique.
    Hello!
    It’s great to heard such a touching story! If every pregnant cat could found a loving home, it would be great, but the world is not made for them.
    Yes, I’m very concerned when it turns around pure bred cats. I do not breed cats and I will surely never do, only because I can’t support a queen or stud in my home! But education is very hard to do when it concerns cats breeds, some myths are very strong!
    In fact I’m not a cat lover at all! I’ve been allergic to them all my life so I developped an aversion for cats. I truly love almost all dogs, but I need a demonstrating pet, that can learn tricks or at least comes when called! I worked in a shelter and I have seen many, many cats. Most of them are independant, but many are loving and seems to care about their humans. So when I came back to school this autumn, I fostered a white DLH cat. I live in a small appart and I can’t have a dog. This cat looked and acted exactly like a Turkish Angora, but he was a DLH. Even if this cat was a great cat, he wasn’t the one I needed. So when I learned about the oriental breeds, such as siamese, orientals, abys and others, I decided to let them a chance to prove me that cats can be good pets! So I got Jack, a 3 months old seal lynx point siamese. I’ve been very, very lucky, because he respects perfectly the standard of the breed, mentally and physically. All his world turns around me, he doesn’t play if I don’t play with him, he understands many words, he is always in a 2 feet circle around me, yes he is hyperactive and talks a lot but if he didn’t looked like a cat I could say he is a dog. I walk him on a leash when there is no dog around, he comes when called, sits, lie down, and I’m about to teach him to roll. It’s not exactly like a dog, I can’t stop stimulating him because he forgets rapidly, but it’s almost as great. And dogs don’t purr!
    Since then I have developped a passion for cats breeds and genetic of cat. I can’t stand living with an independant cat, but I LOVE talking about their genetic and particular traits.
    I know I’ve been lucky, some behavioral traits are conserved in a breed but not all cats of this breed will present these behaviors. I could have chosen an independant and selfish meezer, or I could have found a domestic cat as loving and dependant as Jack is. But, I would have had to do a bigger search!
    What we have to learn with cats is that each and every one of them is unique, purebred or not. Purebred cats were all domestic cats back in time, and man (and sometime nature) selected some of them for their color or behavior. These characteristics were already present in the gene pool of the domestic cat, so it’s normal that they are still there. It’s the reason why some domestic cats can display the behavior or look of a certain breed. That doesn’t make them purebred or part pure, that makes them unique.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

is to approach a breeder of one and find out. Being a respectable breeder they should know what their breed looks like. Though truly told I have seen amyn a look alike without a drop of Korat in them.

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks for your replies.
    Kitana, your Jack sounds wonderful, he's very lucky to have someone to give him the time and attention he needs. You are right about each cat being individual and unique, that's what I love about them, they are their own bosses and I think too many people have fixed ideas about what they want in a pet - let them be themselves.
    Tigress, what a sad tale. It must have been a terrible time for you, not knowing what had happened and then such an awful ending. I'm so pleased you pursued these men and won the cases. Too many people would have given up when the kitty died. They should never, ever get away with it.

From what you two say it's obvious that Spooky is probably not a Korat, just a beautiful look alike, so I won't bother looking into it any further, the reasons I asked in the first place (ie the problems when she first moved in with us) have been resolved, so I will leave it at that.

Thanks again for your help.