Foods

Discussion in 'Dog Health Diet & Grooming' started by Griffin, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Griffin

Griffin Moderator

What foods do you feed your dog?

2. AlvinCampbell

AlvinCampbell Member

They include ground-up tomato vines or grape stems known as pomade, or animal feet, eyes, necks, intestines and other carcass parts that would otherwise be thrown away. Feed is often bulked out with potato powder and bound with oil, making it high in fat, but not satisfying which is why some dogs continually beg for food, even when they have just eaten.Thanks for sharing with us. :moil:

3. cindmill13

cindmill13 Newbie

Lots of human food dogs can't eat like,onions, garlic, grapes & chocolate, especially chocolate which poison becomes in their system. They are not able to absorb it. Try feeding your dog with lean meat, vegetables, fruits, baked potatoes, bread (with no raisins or nuts), rice, & pasta.

4. tylerjones553

tylerjones553 Newbie

I usually give my dog raw food to eat and about dry food I prefer giving him Orijin. He get Very excited when Sees it and always Starts jumping.

5. Radhika657

Radhika657 Newbie

in general is it safe to give frozen meat or organs that were imported?

6. vanesaB

vanesaB Newbie

I buy "Alpo" and feed it to my dog. I also give him milk.

7. RyanPearce

RyanPearce Newbie

Melons
    Sunflower seeds
    Peanut butter
    Berries

8. gingerr

gingerr Newbie

http://www.pissedconsumer.com/consumer-reviews/animal-feed.html

Many pet owners choose feeding their pets with dry or canned dog food, but I don't think this is a good idea. If you ask me, I feed my dog with homemade food. It's healthy and safe.

9. Alexsertu

Alexsertu Member

Wet or canned dog food is significantly higher in moisture than dry or semi-moist food.Canned food is commercially sterile (cooked during canning); other wet foods may not be sterile. A given wet food will often be higher in protein or fat compared to a similar kibble on a dry matter basis (a measure which ignores moisture); given the canned food's high moisture content, however, a larger amount of canned food must be fed. Grain gluten and other protein gels may be used in wet dog food to create artificial meaty chunks, which look like real meat.

10. rosyclintonn

rosyclintonn Newbie

"What foods do you feed your dog?"

Hey Hi:),

Domesticated dogs are largely carnivores that eat omnivorous foods. Hence, I feed him omnivorous food. Well, Wild dogs eat a variety of food which consists mainly of prey animals. Prey animals are composed of raw meat, raw bones, organs, other tissue and digested vegetable matter. Given below are few basic dog feeding guidelines that I follow for my pet:
    • Feed high quality balanced premium commercial food that is appropriate for the life stage and health status of your dog.
    • Natural foods include fresh human-grade raw meat (e.g. raw lamb), raw meaty bones and vegetables
    • Always check with your vet first that raw meaty bones are suitable for your particular dog (e.g. some dogs with misshapen jaws or dental disease may find chewing on raw bones difficult)
    • Bones must be raw
    • Raw meaty bones such as raw lamb ribs (not lamb chops though), raw lamb flaps and raw chicken wings provide several important health benefits including keeping teeth and gums healthy
    • Avoid large marrow bones (these have very thick outer rims), T-bones, 'chop' bones e.g. lamb cutlets, large knuckle bones and bones sawn lengthwise (as done by some butchers) as dogs may crack their teeth on these
    • Fresh water must be available at all times
    • small amount of cooked plain pasta/rice may be offered but again ensure there are no onions/onion sauces or other toxic substances present (see below)
    • Provide access to grass (avoid chemically treated grass and toxic plants) - dogs will sometimes eat grass which may provide a source of vegetable matter and micro nutrients
    Given below are few websites that helped me to give my dog nutritional diet:
    1. http://www.pdsa.org.uk/pet-health-advice/puppies-and-dogs/diet
    2. http://britishgrit.com/
    3. http://www.yourpurebredpuppy.com/health/articles/feeding-homemade-dog-food.html
    4. http://www.petmd.com/dog/nutrition/evr_dg_the_best_food_for_dogs

11. Primed Paws

Primed Paws Newbie

It's important to feed your pet the right dog food and treats for its age and breed.

12. Catherine123

Catherine123 Newbie

I feed my dogs rice and beef. My dogs donĀ“t eat dog foods. So I give them rice with beef or chicken instead.

13. perriejinnie

perriejinnie Newbie

Dog food contains almost all the nutrients necessary for the development of dog. If you don't give proper food to your dog then chances are that your dog will soon start showing health problems. Check here if you want to know how to give the right kind of nutrients to puppies.

14. irenechennia

irenechennia Newbie

I used to make the mistake of thinking that the best way to show my affection to my dog was to give him the same kind of food that I eat but I have since learnt that I may be doing them more harm than good.

15. May Yvonne

May Yvonne Newbie

My dog ususally like fruits and milk. Besides it is a little lazy at weekend. However if I need to go out, it would love to company with me.