My beloved cat is ruining my furniture.

Discussion in 'Cat Training & Behavior' started by vlada, Jun 8, 2009.

1. vlada

vlada Newbie

I have a well known problem with my beloved cat. My Jozefina is ruining constantly my furniture. I don't know what to do. I had been trying to use the special spray but all in vain. Are there any decisions to my problem?

2. mvanderwal

mvanderwal Newbie

Have you tried the sticky paper you place on the side of your furniture where they would claw? Its kind of ugly but the cats don't like to put their paws on it because it feels strange to them....I tried in on my carpets in the corners where they were pulling up the rug and it worked pretty well.

3. RustyK

RustyK Newbie

Does she have a scratching post? Preferably one with catnip so that the kitty is attracted by the smell of it? Some cats ignore scratching posts and insist on clawing furniture, unfortunately. If that is the case, you could try vinyl claw caps - they cover the claws, and the claws are no longer sharp.

4. Ice

Ice Newbie

As RustyK mentioned, I'd definitely suggest a scratching post. Sticky paws might also be an option for you to try, but I haven't personally used those before.

5. Jenna60

Jenna60 Newbie

That has happened to me in the past. I cover all the furniture and the sofas, and it has not been a problem for me anymore. She loves to play and she can't seem to sit still! lol

6. KattyCakes

KattyCakes Newbie

is it a scratching or urinating problem?

If it's urine problems, I'm currently having that and I can't figure that one out.

As for scratching, try a scratching post. Bring it into the house, sit behind your cat, and take it's front paws in your hands and slowly drag the paws down the post. This gives the cat the idea that it's okay to scratch THIS. If you catch him/her clawing anything else, start with a soft slap on the rump or a squirt bottle with oil or salt in it. (This will punish the cat further, because plain water is water. Salt water or something like oil tastes icky and they won't want to get it anymore, so they won't do that.) Just make sure it won't harm the cat.

Sticky paws is always an option, but try a better-looking solution first.

7. macro01

macro01 Newbie

i try to trim their claws sometimes... not that short but just to remove it's sharpness

8. kernix

kernix Newbie

Well, for my cats they tend to scratch just after they get out of the litter box. Try testing other kinds of cheap furniture near the litter box. But also consider keeping their claws trimmed. Buy a cat claw trimmer and trim them every month

9. Tim w

Tim w Newbie

Sometimes cats like humans get some really horrible habbits. If their used to it they can't stop. Your best bet might have to be declawing.

10. Farenxdesign

Farenxdesign Newbie

I had this problem,but at this time i solved my problem.My all furniture has cover some day.Then i have good result from this problem.

11. ShireyRoy

ShireyRoy Newbie

My cat loves to sit on my favorite sisal rugs, and she makes very dirty by rolling it. Tell me what to do to get rid of this issue.

12. Alexsertu

Alexsertu Member

Hi,
    Ever since he got his Soft Claws, Shorty, hasn't ruined or scratched anything whatsoever! ... So far my cat Donner has left my new living room furniture alone. ... my carpets, drapes and furniture falling victim to my beloved cat's playfulness.