My dad won't stop over feeding my morbidly obese cat

Discussion in 'Cat Health Diet & Grooming' started by eascusa, Apr 15, 2017.

1. eascusa

eascusa Newbie

Hi everyone,
    I know this is a strange question and probably has more to do with Human Psychology than it does cat Psychology but I truly don't know what to do about my current situation. I live with my father but am 40 years old so I am far from being a child. While staying here I adopted a cat from the SPCA. He has been with me for about 2 years now and was about 4 months old when I got him. Immediately my cat had a problem with overeating and was gaining weight rapidly. He became morbidly obese. I instantly put him on a lower calorie dry cat food and let him out during the day so he could get more exercise. He lost some weight and everything was looking up. In the meantime another cat came to stay with me and she was underweight. And that's how wet food got started in my household. I would feed it to her from time to time to put weight on her but tried to keep it from my obese cat. I say try because somethings things are just out of your hands when you live with other people. My Dad started giving the wet food to my obese cat even though I asked him not to. I guess as a way to bond with him. My dad likes the cats but they are my responsibility and my cats. So I asked him to stop. I have asked him to stop a hundred times! But he just ignores me and continues on. Now remember this is my dad and I live in his house so getting in a fight is the last thing I want to do. But I feel like he is slowly killing my cat! My obese cat gained all the weight back that I managed to get him to lose and most likely is still gaining weight. My cat has his dry cat food out all day that he eats and then my dad feeds him a whole can of cat food in the morning. Every morning now....The worst thing is, is he doesn't even make sure that my skinny cat gets any of it! He gives the skinny one some but she is a slower eater. So, my obese cat then goes over to her bowl and finishes hers after finishing his.. I don't know what to do. I have told my dad why I want him to stop that it is in the best interest of the cat. That he can get Diabetes among other cat diseases from being morbidly obese. I have put my foot down about this but to no avail. He just ignores me. I have even taken away the food from off the fridge but he just goes and buys more. Does anyone have any suggestions? Should I just let him give the cat the wet food despite his weight? That doesn't sound right to me. Should I just take them every time he buys them? I feel like a shit head doing that but what else can I do? I don't want my cat to be a" wet food" cat either. I would make the change though if I thought it would help my cat but I know my dad would just keep buying the dry food as well. And the fact that he won't make sure with me that even needs to be fed that particular day or morning. I might have already done it. But If I give him the job to do it himself he won't make sure to feed the cats every time they need to be fed..This has happened before, he doesn't know and feeds him again or vise versa. He won't simply ask me if he's eaten already. But a lot of the time he did know and still gave him more. He simply does not care and does not see the big deal about this "food thing". Am I making it a too big of a deal? Help!

2. irenechennia

irenechennia Newbie

I understand how it is when things are out of one's control. Perhaps you can just keep the wet food off your self.
    You can have a polite discussion with your dad and tell him in a playful manner the damage been done to the dog and provide the dry food instead for him to use as to ensure the bonding he is trying to achieve is not lost.

3. May Yvonne

May Yvonne Newbie

I agree with irenechennia. You'd better talk to your dad politely and let him realize the damage been done to your dog. Good luck.