Oscar: Bubble Protruding From Anus

Discussion in 'South American Cichlid Forums Neotropical' started by Guest, Dec 11, 2000.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Please Help!
    I have an Oscar ~5yrs old. There is a bubble (Hernia?) about the size of a marble protruding from her anus. It is Pinkish/Whitish/Clearish in color. It appears to be full of fluid. The area around the anus appears to be quite swollen also. She appears to be eating fine. What could this be? What can I do to fix it? Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!

Thanks in advance!
    Brad

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Tell me more about her oviposter... Is it going to be the size of a marble? Round? Is the area around the rectum/genital opening going to be swollen if it is? She has in the past laid eggs (no mate in the tank) Each time she will dig herself a hole before doing so. This time there is not a hole dug...
    Also, in the case of a hernia or a prolapsed rectum is there anything I can do?
    Now to answer your questions:
    Most of the time she eats Wardley's Cichlid pellets once a day. Although once in awhile we drop a several goldfish in the tank. we have not fed her goldfish in more than a month...
    She is in a 75gal tank. I try to change the water about 20% / month. Although I don't have exact numbers, I am sure the ammonia/nitrate/nitrites are fine... (will get exact numbers tonight)
    There are two large goldfish (feeders that were really good at hiding) in the tank with her.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Her oviposter wouldn't really be marble shaped, it would be more tubular, kind of like //. If it were a male it would be more of a V shape. I was just tossing out possiblilties. It's impossible to know for sure without seeing it, but it does sound like it could be a hernia, with the part exposed possibly being a section of her intestines. I know of no remedy for this, other than possibly surgery.

There's a few different causes for something like this, of which any combination could be a factor in her case. It could be related to diet, an obstruction, parasites in the intestines, hereditary weakening of the abdominal wall, etc.

I would try varying her diet a little more. Rather than just pellets all the time, try giving her flakes, frozen live foods, greens, like cooked spinach or peas. Frozen krill or plankton is a good choice because it is roughage and has a laxative effect. I don't know if these suggestions will help now, but they can sometimes prevent further problems in the future.

Epsom salts at the rate of 2 TEAspoons/10 gallons of water may clean out an obstructed fish within 24-48 hours. Premix it in a little tank water and add it gradually over a few hours. Then clear it out by doing a few water changes over the next week or two.

With only doing 20% w/c per month you may find your nitrates are very high (over 60ppm). Try to get them down below 20ppm over the next couple of weeks by doing some w/c's and gravel vacuuming. This could also be playing a part in her problem. High nitrates can sometimes do some weird things with fish.

Also, check around with area vets. I'm sure for the cost of an office visit he would gladly look at the fish for you, and possibly be able to repair it, however there would be a lot of stress involved with netting, bagging and bringing the fish in so you'd have to weigh the value of doing it. HTH, good luck!

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Update: It seems to have lost the fluid (popped?) so now it is just hanging...

Is there any way to tell for sure if it is her oviposter? I could not see separate openings for her rectum and genitalia. Is there a chance it is egg binding?--I know it is rare and unheard of so I hesitate to even suggest it but at this point...

The ammonia and nitrite are ~0. The nitrate is right at 60ppm... I did a small water change last night and will do another tonight... (I don't want to overly stress her)

I tried feeding peas last night and she did not eat them. I tossed in a couple of pellets to make sure she was still eating and she is. (I wonder if I shouldn't have done this as it is just going to add to any constipation she may have) I had not heard that the krill and plankton have a laxative effect. I will pick some up today.

I don't think a vet is really an option as I believe the #1 killer of fish is stress. :^)

5. Guest

Guest Guest

There is only one opening on the underside of a fish, called the cloaca. It's the common cavity into which the intestinal, genital, and urinary tracts open. I can't really say for sure if it was her oviposter or not, but from your description it didn't sound like it. I've also never heard of fish becoming egg bound, especially one that has laid eggs successfully in the past.

If it was a portion of her intestine and it has ruptured, the prognosis wouldn't be good. Perhaps it was a cyst of some sort? In which case it may not be life threatening. It's really impossible to know unless one is an expert and has the fish in plain view.

Have you noticed if she's passed any feces since you first saw the problem? If it were my fish I would wait & see what happens at this point. If it was the intestine that ruptured there really is nothing you can do for her, other than euthanizing her humanely when she began failing. Antibiotics wouldn't help if this were the case. If it were something else, like a cyst there's always the possiblity that it will fill up again. See how she does over the next day or two. I would continue feeding her small portions, especially some of the plankton or krill, or even brine shrimp. Try to see if she passes any fecal matter. If she makes it through this, you really should consider varying her diet a little more, even if the problem isn't related to diet. Let us know how things go, and I hope they improve.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

I was looking something up for someone else tonight when I came across some info about Oscars. It talks about their behavior and the usual information like size, etc., and then there was this paragraph:

They are prone to become habituated to individual foods unless the diet is varied, and to serious digestive upsets if fed an unsuitable diet (for example large amounts of pellets). They are naturally piscivores, but also relish insects and earthworms.

This is from The Ultimate Encyclopedia of Aquarium Fish & Fish Care by Mary Bailey and Gina Sandford.

Just thought you should read that...I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for you though [​IMG]