Reptile rescue closed after dead animals are found

Discussion in 'Pet related News stories' started by Pippin, Aug 31, 2009.

1. Pippin

Pippin Member

Jun 30, 2009
    The owners of Mountain Aire Reptile Rescue & Sanctuary are being investigated for animal cruelty, after reptile carcasses were found on Ron and De Farley’s property at 913 E. Second St.

“There were a number of deceased reptiles on the property as well as living,” said Ann Davenport, spokeswoman for the Humane Society of the Pikes Peak Region.

The suspected abuse was discovered by Division of Wildlife officials.

Humane Society investigators then discovered more than 100 creatures, including snakes, monitor lizards, geckos, turtles, tortoises, bearded dragons, iguanas and skinks.

Davenport said many of the animals were not in appropriate housing for reptiles, with access to heat lamps, special diets and water. She would not say how many dead animals were found, saying the investigation is ongoing and charges are pending.

“It was a very reputable rescue, and the owners were very knowledgeable about reptiles, and it just seems they got in over their heads,” Davenport said. “That doesn’t excuse, but that does impact what type of charges are filed.” Colorado law allows misdemeanor and felony charges for animal cruelty, depending on the case.

Rescue founder Ron Farley confirmed the investigation and said his rescue has closed, but said he couldn’t comment further.

“I’d like to talk to you, but my attorneys have told me to keep quiet,” Farley said.

Davenport said the Humane Society took many animals in need of immediate care, and they are recuperating with area veterinarians, other rescues or at the shelter.

“Some will eventually be available for adoption,” Davenport said.

2. pakina

pakina Newbie

Feb 19, 2013