Salt water Rookie

Discussion in 'Marine Saltwater forum' started by PANIC, Feb 6, 2008.

1. PANIC

PANIC Guest

I just purchased this 58 gallon tank and stand and plan to go out on a limb and attack the idea of running a salt water aquarium .
    Being that I'm used to my 2 1/2 gallon bow tank for my kids and need all the help i can get on buying the filters , light etc etc , i know the cost of running a SW tank is up there but can do it in stages .

My main goal is to run some clown fish (Nemo's) for my kids and whatever fish and coral go with them without the hassle of fighting and low maintenance.

Attached Files:

2. brad

brad Moderator

Its not that hard to set up!!

To Set up a couple of Nemos is pretty easy!! The first thing you want to do is get your filtration squared away. The best thing to do is get some live rock in there to give the tank some bio stability. A canister filter and a couple of power heads for circulation should get you going. After all your basic test results balance out then you can add a couple of Nemos ! The most important thing to remember is to take your time and try not to rush any thing! As soon as your ammonia , nitrite are zero and your PH is 8.2 (temp 75-80) you are ready for some Nemos. Also the Live Rock will help balance the entire tank out for all your fish. And it gives your tank a more natural look and feel to it. Then you can start adding some invertebrates,and you will always see something new coming out of the rock! The kids will love finding new stuff everyday.Also a salinity around 1.021-1.023 is recommended!

3. PANIC

PANIC Guest

I was actually in the store today seeking help about choosing the right filter , lighting and etc etc but to be honest i walked out frustrated with the lack of attention i recieved . I live nearby in Deer Park and i'm trying to establish a trust factor with a fish store that can bring me years of happiness with this tank . My tank isn't drilled and heard that a wet/dry drip filter would be the best , i also heard a canister filter isn't as good as a hang on filter so at this point it is very confusing.

I don't mind spending money but wanna get a filter that will keep my tank clean and a light that will do it's job being that i have a cube tank and it's rather deep .Thanks for all of your help.

4. brad

brad Moderator

Lets keep it simple

You said you just want to put a few Nemos in it? So you already own the tank and we can make it work!! If you were to start from scratch and wanted to do a all out full blown system, then you could have ordered a tank pre-drilled and had a wet-dry type system from the beginning. You want to keep it simple and put a few nemos in then we can make this tank work just fine with a canister and some live rock! Yesterday we were a little busy with delivery's and we had a bit much going on in the store. I must apologize for the lack of attention you received. I will be in the store today and tomorrow from 2-9 pm and would be happy to go over in detail with you the ins and outs of how to set the tank up!! Please keep in mind there are many opinions out there about how to set up a saltwater aquarium! I am just trying to get you going in the right direction, with spending the least amount of money and the most fun! Please give us a call 631-789-5400 and set up a time to meet, or just stop by some time and we can discuss your tank.
    Thanks Brad

5. brad

brad Moderator

update

Just an update....
    We spoke a week or so ago in the store and finally met face to face! A very nice fellow. We went over the saltwater basics and covered some ground. He purchased a light bulb for another small aquarium he has and when he gets back from a trip we will speak again and hopefully get this tank rolling!! He has many different ways to go as far as setting this tank up, I was simply trying to show him the correct, fast, easy way to do this with out going broke!

6. PANIC

PANIC Guest

Stopped down this afternoon and spoke with Bob and have to say the staff at Pets Warehouse is top shelf you won't find a better staff anywhere. Well i'm gonna be back in a day or 2 to get the wheels in motion with my tank finally after a long bout with the wife over placement of the tank.

7. PANIC

PANIC Guest

Finally the process has begun , i stopped down and bought some sand , salt and a new filter and once again the staff at Pets Warehouse has directed me in the right direction and prevented me in costly mistake. I'll be back once the cycle has finished to buy some fish .

Thanks again guys