Siberian husky not eating

Discussion in 'Dog Breed' started by Guest, Apr 21, 2001.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

My Sibearian Husky is about 3 years old. Every year around the same time, during the change of seasons between Winter and Spring and then again between Summer and Fall he will quit eating and gets extremely Skinney. To the point where you can see his Ribs plain. Is this normal and if not then what do I need to do. I hate to see him get this skinney. He looks sick. Thanks for any and all help.......

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Have you any bitches in your area they may be in season and this some times puts dogs off their food. Also dont forget the coat loss will also make him look thinner. If worried go and see your vet. But up your dogs food give him an extra meal a day add fatty meats such as lamb to the diet or kabab meat this is full of fat. I use tripe added to my dogs complete dog food to boddy them up and weight come over three to four weeks.

Check that you dog does not have loose stools as this may cause weight loss.. I stress again if at all worried see a vet.

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks, I think I will take him to the Vet.

I would also like to say this is a great site. Thanks again.....JJ

4. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi there Thunder,
    I have two Huskys, the bitch is 2 years old and the male only 6 months. Before he came along she was soooo fussy with her eating and sometimes didn't eat at all!!! Now I feed her and I don't leave the bowl if she doesn't eat it, I take it away. This way she knows when to eat and I can regulate exactly how much she is eating. I do find that they really are skinny without all that fur. You could also give them a milkshake made of Lactose free milk + Rice milk + egg. They love this and it puts some weight on them.

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Thanks Karyn, I will try that milk shake Idea. I talked to a vet and they said to give him some worm medice. He hasn't acted like he has worms, but they said he could still have them. So I will give him some worm medice and put him on some milkshakes. Thanks again.....

6. Guest

Guest Guest

My wife and I took him to the vet. When I got home from work yesterday he could even walk on his back legs. The Vet said he had Whipworms real bad, and an infection. He gave him a one time wormer and some antibiotics. I'm glad I went ahead took him to the Vet. Maybe now he will get some meat back on the bones....

He was unusually skinny. Not like he has been when he would shed his coat. So it did have me concerned. Thanks for your replies, I appreciate it....

7. dm0ne

dm0ne Newbie

I know this post was open way back 2001 but Im just worried with my husky. He's 6months old and he only eats ones a day. He used to eat 2-3 times in a day and looked pretty healthy. Now he's skinny and no matter when food or how I mix it, he doesnt eat. I took him to the vet, the doc told me he's fine. Is this normal? Im just worried. If anyone can still read this, its a big help! Thanks

8. AlvinCampbell

AlvinCampbell Member

Thank you for sharing this wonderful link with us. Thanks for giving us very useful tips and information. Thanks for sharing this siteā€¦

9. iigwk

iigwk Newbie

My wife and I took him to the vet. When I got home from work yesterday he could even walk on his back legs.

10. Farenxdesign

Farenxdesign Newbie

Thanks your sharing information.I have a learn new idea from your post.

11. Alexsertu

Alexsertu Member

Hi,
    We have a 2 year old Siberian Husky who is not eating, goes off by himself to sleep instead of playing with his brother, has vomitted a few times ...

12. megan mia

megan mia Member

i love thos breed