The Siamese

Discussion in 'Cat breeds' started by BabyBirman, Mar 26, 2003.

1. BabyBirman

BabyBirman Newbie

hi, I was wondering if anyone could tell me a bit about the Siamese breed like there behavior, mean or nice, grooming care, etc.
    also, are the siamese, hypo-allergenic?
    are the persian hypo-allergenic?
    Thanks

Live everyday like it was the last with your pet

2. Dr.D

Dr.D Member

Welcome to Petswarehouse!

I am afraid that I am clueless about specific breeds of cats. If others can't help, I am sure you can surf the net to find that information. You might also go to the web page of Cat Fancy magazine...they might have links for specific breeds.

3. BabyBirman

BabyBirman Newbie

thanks for your feedback

4. chh

chh Member

My dad's allergic to cats, and when he met my mom she had a siamese cat that he had definite problems with. It doesn't matter how short the coat is, it's usually the dander from the skin people react to. I've heard cornish rex cats are good for folks with allergies--they're weird fancy wrinkley-looking kitties, I don't know much about them but I'm sure you can find more info on the web. Just be careful, and remember that allergies can take a while to build up. Just because you don't have a reaction at a breeder's house doesn't guarantee you won't have problems after living with the cat for a while. WAY too many cats end up in shelters because people decided to be optimistic about overcoming their allergies [​IMG]

5. BabyBirman

BabyBirman Newbie

thanks chh, I am actually going to adopt a siamese, and the owner of the shelter said she has problems with allergies too, and says siamese cats are the best with allergies, I am going to foster a kitten and see.

6. StinaBeena

StinaBeena Member

Yeah, like chh said, its not the fur, it is the dander from the skin.

And, in another post i said that there are some medicines that control pet allergies, if you see an allergy doctor...allergist? LOL I dont know what they are called. Anywho, they may be able to get you on medication for that but it depends on how severe your allergy is, I think.

7. BabyBirman

BabyBirman Newbie

my allergies don't bother me that much with cats, but I would like to take any medication if possible, just something that removes the dander, thanks

8. StinaBeena

StinaBeena Member

hmm..i dont know if washing the cat often removes dander or what. I dont know if anything controls that with cats.
    If you have mild allergies to cats then you can probably take medication to control it. I have a mild allergy to pet dander and I take medication and i am fine living with 3 cats and a dog. So, it could be something you talk with your doctor about. If you dont want to take medication then, like i said, I dont know if there is a way to reduce pet dander on your pet or not.

9. BabyBirman

BabyBirman Newbie

sorry, I would not like to take any medication if possible, typo

I heard Allerpet is good, all you do is spray it on your cat, I'll check out there site...

Spay or Neuter your pet

10. chh

chh Member

Fostering is a smart approach! Even if it doesn't work out, you've done a good thing for the cat. [​IMG]

I have a few non-medication suggestions to minimize the chance of a reaction, stuff I do when my dad comes to visit so he can stay in our house instead of getting a motel room.

There are disposable wipes you can get that clean/condition the coat and are supposed to drastically reduce dander, especially if used a couple times a week. MUCH MUCH easier than trying to give a cat a bath. The ASPCA even endorses one of the brands and says it often makes the difference in whether the cat can be kept or not.

Another thought is you can get simple filters to stick in your heat vents. Seemed to make a big difference with my dad, the first time he visited he'd start having big problems every time the heat came on and started blowing dander all over the place. Changing the filters in your furnace regularly can help with this as well.

The other thing my dad does when he's here is take this nose spray stuff called Nasal-crom. Supposed to be great, no drug interactions or serious side effects. Really seems to make a difference when he's here. However, my boyfriend had great results with it for his allergies (not dander related), but it seemed to stop working after a while, so I have no idea if it would do you any good. Plus personally I've never squirted anything up my nose and never will, but that's just me.

Anyway, I guess that's all I got, hope it gives you some ideas. Good luck!

11. BabyBirman

BabyBirman Newbie

thank you very much for your help, I will probably try the wipes to remove the dander.
    [​IMG]

Spay or Neuter your pet

12. Go Fish

Go Fish Newbie

I wish I got to this post earlier! I have two siamese cats and I think they own me, more than I own them. I grew up with 2 domestic cats and had a great experience. But after having siamese cats for 3 years, I don't think I'll ever go back.

They absolutely love heights. I came home one day after work to find my cats on top of the kitchen cabinets. I was very startled, especially since they were about 4 months old. But, that is there personality. They are always searching for the highest point-- then they can't stop bragging once they are there.

They are very vocal. Thank god I live alone, otherwise a roommate might think I'm a little loco. But, I carry on full converations with my cats. And- they talk back. They have great facial expressions, too.

They are very smart. Zeus has a thing for hair pins. He carries them everywhere (no wonder I don't have any left for my hair). He started playing this game when he was six months. During the middle of the night, Zeus would drop a hair pin in my bed and play with it. Of course, it would wake me up. I would take the hair pin and throw it into the other room. He fetched it and came back to my bed. Now, Zeus is able to play fetch with a lot of different things and gets very excited!

I am allergic to cats now (so sad) but I don't have any allergies to my siamese. It startled me at first, but now I am reading more to find out they aren't as difficult on allergies.

If you have any other questions, please email me. lfeuerhak@hotmail.com.

Lisa Feuerhak

13. BabyBirman

BabyBirman Newbie

thanks so much for your help!!!!! [​IMG]

Spay or Neuter your pet