Vacation

Discussion in 'Cat Training & Behavior' started by Daniel7, Jul 10, 2009.

1. Daniel7

Daniel7 Member

I'm going away for a about a week in August. What do I do about my cat? Do I get someone to look after her, do I see if I can bring her with me?

I doubt I could leave her alone.

2. kernix

kernix Newbie

Can you bring her, and if you could, would that be an inconvenience? Where in NJ are you? I'm a dog walker, pet sitter, cat boarder in Philly. Hire a pet sitter if you can't bring her, or would rather not. I just boarded a cat for a day this weekend, and I've been pet sitting another cat for the past week and a half and until this Friday. I also have another cat that I will be sitting in August. For cat sitting I stop by every other day to fill water\food bowls and clean the litter. I chage $15\30 minutes so I spend the last 20 minutes petting them to keep them happy for a little bit.

Contact me if you are close to me for boarding (I don't have a car so I can't go to your place). If you are not close, or prefer sitting to boarding, search for "pet sitter" or "pet service" on Google for your area. Best to find someone with a website, is bonded and insured, and can offer you references. And you can't leave her alone for that long. How about paying a friend to stop by?

Good Luck!

3. Pippin

Pippin Member

I wouldn't want to leave her alone either, Daniel. That wouldn't be fair and your place would be a mess when you got back, let's face it. Do you think she'd be happy on a trip or happier at home in her own space? Before you find out if you can take her, that would be a question to ask yourself. It may be much easier to have someone look after her on both of you.

Jim, that sounds like an interesting job you do! :) I don't want to hijack this thread but would love to hear more about it. Please do tell us more about your job and how you got started etc in a new thread. I have a lot of questions. :D

4. kernix

kernix Newbie

New thread - in which forum? After doing the corporate thing, working with animals is sooooooo much better than working with some of the "corporate" type pf people that I've met. Got laid-off a while back - now I'm hoping that dog walking will pay the bills while I try to start a Freelance Photog biz, and maybe Web Design.

5. Daniel7

Daniel7 Member

I'm in Jersey City. I decided that I'm going to leave her with my aunt, who conveniently just bought a kitty herself. So that worked out well.

Thanks for the advice though, your job seems very helpful.

6. Abbot Maeshal

Abbot Maeshal Newbie

Yes because Cat is more sensitive type of animal.You may also drop a person who is familiar with your cat not the stranger with your cat.Otherwise the gap of vacation can create behavior problem in your cat.

7. AlvinCampbell

AlvinCampbell Member

To most cats’ owners, their pets are just like part of their family. That’s why you are also worrying which is very genuine. I have no doubt that you are treating your pet cat just like the other family members in the house. Here I think kernix offered a good help to you.

8. zibiga

zibiga Newbie

If I were to fall in love,It would have to be with youYour eyes,
    Sacramento ****** your smile,The way you laugh,The things you say and do
    Take me to the places, Sacramento ******s My heart never knew
    So, if I were to fall in love,It would have to be with you. Sacramento ***** ******
    Ed Walter,Forgive me for needing you in my life;
    Forgive me for enjoying the beauty of your body and soul; Sacramento ***** ******s
    Forgive me for wanting to be with you when I grow old

9. Farenxdesign

Farenxdesign Newbie

I take my pet with my family.

10. tiny planes

tiny planes Newbie

11. carol palmer

carol palmer Newbie

Next time you go on vacation, hire a pet sitter, request email reports from him/her, give a spare key to a friend, block all doors partially open, setup at least 2 water dispensers, leave a bowl of dry food and setup intrusion prevention system . Check for this blog on how to ensure the safety of your pet when you are away. (http://www.apialarm.com/blog/category/keeping-pets-safe/)