weaning kittens

Discussion in 'Cat Training & Behavior' started by nowens, Jul 17, 2009.

1. nowens

nowens Newbie

My cat gave birth almost 9 weeks ago, and although the kittens are now eating cat food, they are also still nursing. Everything I read says kittens should be weaned by 8 weeks, but the mother shows no sign of pushing them away; in fact, she seems a bit over protective and still encourages them to nurse. Should I do something, or just let them keep nursing...forever?

2. Pippin

Pippin Member

nowens, I believe some kittens can take up to 12 weeks. Apparently no-one showed their mother the calendar. :D

If both the mother and kittens are not deteriorating healthwise it should be okay to allow them to keep nursing too. I'm no expert but from what I've read you're doing fine by supplementing what they get from nursing with the cat food. They also need a water dish.

The mother will let them know when she's had enough of it all and that should be anytime soon. This time next month it could all be over. :)

Welcome aboard! Do keep us posted on how it's going. Any pics? :D

3. AlvinCampbell

AlvinCampbell Member

At around 3 to 6 weeks of age, begin offering food to the kittens. Canned food, semi-moist or even dry kitten food moistened with water is all acceptable. Offer the kittens small amounts of soft food in a shallow dish. Up to this point, the kittens have been suckling to get their nourishment. Now, they need to learn to open their mouths and bite in order to get food into their mouths to be swallowed. Learning to do these results in some messy feeding times. Kittens will typically walk and fall in the food dish. They may even try to nurse on the food, resulting in some pretty messy kitties. Eventually, they learn normal eating behavior. Some people will place the food on a cookie sheet and place it in the bathtub and let the kittens learn. This allows for easy clean up.

4. baron25

baron25 Newbie

They help take care of their grooming, and they learn about how to take care of animals. I often have students who have never had an animal before, so we discuss proper training, medications, vet visits, and behavior problems. This ensures that for a lifetime, these children will know how to properly care for their pets