What breed should I get?

Discussion in 'Dog Breed' started by JenLeeWoo, Sep 17, 2004.

1. JenLeeWoo

JenLeeWoo Member

Hi all!

I am looking to get a dog. I've never had one, as my father hates them, but my husband has had dogs in the past. I am looking for opinions on what breed I should get. Here are my needs:

Size: not important, we live in a 4-bedroom house with a 1400 sq ft enclosed back yard.

Fur: must be smooth furred, as my husband is allergic to the furrier types.

Personality: must be easily trained, likely to ignore my cats, and not too hyper. Preferably a dog that we could leave in when we aren't home, as it gets very hot outside during the summer.

Price: I would prefer to rescue a dog, even a young adult, as long as it gets along with my cats. I am willing to pay, but if the price goes over about $300 my husband will put his foot down.

I DO NOT like poodles or other "hypoallergenic" type dogs, as I simply do not like the fur. I also do not like yippy dogs, preferring a dog with a respectable woof.

I have been looking at: beagle, basset hound, ibezan hound, great Dane, and daschound. (sorry about my spelling) I am open to other suggestions, as well as opinions on these breeds.

If any of you are in the greater Sacramento or SF Bay area and can recommend a breeder, that would be wonderful!

Thanks!
    Jennifer

2. Rottnbelle

Rottnbelle Administrator

Which Breed

Well you have your work cut out for you. I would like to say first, though that there are air purifiers that work very well for pet owners with allergies. Check out www.ecoquestintl.com/frescaaire. That is my own company and I know from experience how well they work.

Back to the breed of dog. I think you will be very happy with a Basset Hound. They are notoriously easy going. And require limited activity. The other hounds with longer legs [​IMG] require more activity and tend to love to run (away) if not fenced in. Doxies are also very good for limited activity.

Contact your local rescue groups for these breeds and I am sure they will connect you with just the right dog.

3. mickey

mickey Member

hello, I was wondering if you got your dog yet? I was going to suggest maybe a maltese they don't shed and are great little dogs

4. Jessygirl

Jessygirl Newbie

Though about a short haired collie type. Then I recognized that your post is nearly five years old.

I hope you have found already the dog of your dreams.

5. KattyCakes

KattyCakes Newbie

My brother has a little Basset Hound named Barney and he's pretty sweet. Since they're built lower, they're small but strong. They're pretty loyal and can get fairly big. I'd suggest one of them.

6. sanderson

sanderson Member

How about something like a Weimaraner?

7. PPersian

PPersian Newbie

I am quite interesting in this topic hope you will elaborate more on it in future posts.

8. ashtonluise

ashtonluise Newbie

It is great that you want to buy a dog for your home. As you mentioned here abut dog qualifications i think German Shepherd is one of the best dog breed that you want. This breed is normally a fit in health and height of this dog is such a best.

9. Alexsertu

Alexsertu Member

Hi,
    A dog will do his best to please you and keep you smiling. He will curl up with you when you are feeling down or need some serious relaxation. He won't hold ...

10. Peach Wright

Peach Wright Newbie

11. brandyjiang

brandyjiang Newbie

In my opinion, the author's idea is advisable.I will make advertisement freely for your post,recommend it to my frields.Most of my frields are fall in love with rs. And under this circumstance,I also like to play online game,such as RuneScape.I always buy the items online.So I am familiar with the safest and convenient way to buy RS Gold online.

12. Amy1988alex

Amy1988alex Newbie

I still like Siberian Huskies:happy:

13. Catherine123

Catherine123 Newbie

Yeah i suggest Siberian Huskies too :))

14. perriejinnie

perriejinnie Newbie

Just get any dog. However, I would strongly recommend you to adopt one. There are so many homeless dogs in the world. Pick one and make it lucky to have you. God will be pleased to see you working towards easing the pain of those homeless poor dogs.

15. Steph

Steph Newbie

And if you are looking to rescue one, it may be a good idea to go there with an open mind. You might fall in love with a pup that you would have never expected!

16. Jakepu13

Jakepu13 Newbie

This topic is really interesting.

17. Ashlesage07

Ashlesage07 Newbie

There are many types of breed available in market.
    You should go with a breed, which is more in health resistance.
    One type of breed which i am having in my mind is Pomsky dogs. this breeds health immune power is more compare to other dog breeds.
    You can get this breed dog at pomskies

Attached Files:

18. Maria Rosas

Maria Rosas Newbie

Breed is not important, But care is most important for dogs.
    Select any breed but also get some dogs accessories of equipments for dogs need.
    Dogs should provide a proper space for their living.
    Whelping Box can help a dog for a better space. Thank you.