What Breed?

Discussion in 'Cat breeds' started by Guest, Nov 15, 2000.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Hello,
    I'm from the dog and small animal forums. I breed cavies (guinea pigs) and my mum breeds dogs. They are Bichons. All of them are wonderful with cats and kittens. Our neighbor had brought 3 kittens over and our dogs just smelled them and then just ignored them. Anyways, I wanted to know if there is any breed that does better with dogs than others? I know that certain dog breeds are better with cats than others, is it the same in cats? Are mixes better then purebreds?
    I've been lokking into American Shorthairs because we had 2 of them. They both lived to be 19 years. I miss them dearly, same with the rest of the family. If ANYONE out there knows, PLEASE reply!

2. Guest

Guest Guest

he black cat is a scardey cat! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

3. Guest

Guest Guest

As far as I am aware, it depends more on the temperament of the individual cat than on the breed. None of my mutt cats have ever been bothered by dogs...indeed, they seem to find dogs to be quite silly! They just stare at the dogs and try to figure out just what those strange animals are up to! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

4. Guest

Guest Guest

In all the books that I have read, The Maine Coon is known to get on well with dogs. From Personal experience, ours gets on well with our JRT.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by pretty peruvian:
    Hello,
    I'm from the dog and small animal forums. I breed cavies (guinea pigs) and my mum breeds dogs. They are Bichons. All of them are wonderful with cats and kittens. Our neighbor had brought 3 kittens over and our dogs just smelled them and then just ignored them. Anyways, I wanted to know if there is any breed that does better with dogs than others? I know that certain dog breeds are better with cats than others, is it the same in cats? Are mixes better then purebreds?
    I've been lokking into American Shorthairs because we had 2 of them. They both lived to be 19 years. I miss them dearly, same with the rest of the family. If ANYONE out there knows, PLEASE reply!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

5. Guest

Guest Guest

We are always bringing in stray cats and we have always had at least one dog, too. The cats have always gotten used to the dogs as long as the dog is not a cat chaser. We had a britney spanial that ALWAYS chased the cats. We didn't see much of the cats while we had him! They pretty much lived on the duct work in the basement. (The Britney now lives with my in-laws on a lake in Michigan--a happy ending for all involved!)

I think personality has a lot to do with how friendly they eventually end up beng (the dogs and cats, I mean). Right now we have a Siamese, a Main Coon, a Balinese, an alley cat, a tortioseshell, and a domestic longhair and they all co-exist with the Lab just fine. The Siamese and Main Coon actually sleep with the dog. The dog likes to chase the Balinese, but he askes for it by waking the dog up and running away!

6. Guest

Guest Guest

I agree that it is the indiidual temperment of the cat not the breed that will in time decide if it is a dog, type of cat or not!

7. AlvinCampbell

AlvinCampbell Member

[FONT=arial, verdana, helvetica, sans-serif]There are also over a hundred recognised breeds of domestic cat. The main feline features that vary are body type, eye colour, coat colour and length of coat. Some pedigree cats are natural breeds and many others are the result of careful breeding.[/FONT]

8. cindmill13

cindmill13 Newbie

I have Persian cat its very cute. Lots of domestic cat breeds is available.
    Like,
    Manx Cat, Chausie Cat, Turkish Angora Cat, American Shorthair Cat, Turkish Angora Cat, Ragdoll Cat, Toyger Cat,
    Ashera Cat, The Sandcat, etc.

9. rohan5039

rohan5039 Newbie

What cat

Hi, I've a brownish white cat but don't know what is the native breed of my cat, if anyone can help I'll love to say thanks, If somebody have the answer, I'm ready to told in detail about cat.

10. MikeFallon

MikeFallon Newbie

Border collie is best breed in these conditions. They are very helpful farm dogs..

11. Daisn10

Daisn10 Newbie

A breed is a group of [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Domestication"]domestic animals or plants[/ame] with a homogeneous appearance, [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behavior"]behavior[/ame], and other characteristics that distinguish it from other animals or plants of the same [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Species"]species[/ame], and arrived at through [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selective_breeding"]selective breeding[/ame].

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 7, 2012
  12. Alexsertu

Alexsertu Member

This is certainly awesome. The stare upon every single written when we are taken aback. We are precisely fascinated by one of these offers.