What dogs are suitable to be around small children?

Discussion in 'Dog Breed' started by Pippin, Jul 4, 2009.

1. Pippin

Pippin Member

I always thought a Labrador was considered a kid friendly dog but a trainee vet told me once that they were anything but. Are there any breeds that are thought to be particularly good with little ones or that should definitely be avoided?

I'm thinking of children young enough that you couldn't explain to them why not to pull the dog's ears and be rough with a puppy. Pre school age I would guess.

2. sanderson

sanderson Member

My Airedale was always very good. But I can't say if its a breed trait or she just had good personality :happy:

3. Griffin

Griffin Moderator

I've been told most Maltese Dogs are suitable for small children as they are very friendly and loving.

4. *susan*

*susan* Moderator

Wow, I have had labs my whole life and they have always been great with children. I have also heard Cocker Spaniels and Collies are great with kids.

5. Lee

Lee Member

I agree with Susan with one exception, Adult Labs are great with children without a doubt but Lab puppies and juvenile Labs can be a challenge. They are always on the go and wanting to play and sometimes without meaning too can be a little rough with small children. With that said a child and a Lab that grows up together will have a tremendous bound and love for each other.

6. Pippin

Pippin Member

I always fancied a Lab and was really surprised to hear her say that. Whether she formed that judgment from a few she'd met or what, I don't know.

I think with dogs it's as much nurture as nature, if not more. I didn't think Labs had an aggressive reputation at all.

7. PPersian

PPersian Newbie

Nice story! I enjoyed it a lot! This is a great stuff! This is probably the most breathtaking post I've read in a long long time. Thanks for sharing it with us. I liked especially the moment with this drunk dinosaur.

8. ashtonluise

ashtonluise Newbie

Generally Lab puppies are really kid friendly in nature. I have also Labrador which my kids loves most because kids easily play with Lab puppies without any tension.

9. Alexsertu

Alexsertu Member

Hi,
    I always thought a Labrador was considered a kid friendly dog but a trainee vet told me once that they were anything but. Are there any breeds ...

10. Alexsertu

Alexsertu Member

11. Kattie Pets

Kattie Pets Newbie

I think it is better idea to go with puppies like Maltese or Yorkie or Pomeranian as these will become good friends with kids easily and they to like to play.

12. john01bohan

john01bohan Newbie

Great Dane. :D

Johnny Bohan

13. jericstail

jericstail Newbie

I grew up with border collies and saint bernard and they are really very gentle dogs. Maybe for the first time owners, it is better to get a bit older and trained dog since they can generally gentle with children and toddlers.

14. May Yvonne

May Yvonne Newbie

It depends. I like smart puppy:):)